This past week, June 9th-12th, I had the opportunity to attend the 2019 Domains Conference hosted by Reclaim Hosting in Durham, North Carolina. The experience was truly more unique than any other experience I have had. This was my first education conference, and therefore my first Educational Technology Conference. Biggest Surprise The range of schools across the country that attended, along with the wide variety of stages that the domain programs are currently surprised me the most. From the small, undergraduate Liberal Arts college, in…Continue Reading “What I Learned at Domains ’19: Back to the Future”

Last Friday officially ended my first year of college! I wanted to review my original goals for the year and go over what has surprised me and what I expected. Goal #1: Understand the different styles of teaching and types of learning around the campus community Overall, I would say I have accomplished this goal, even though it is the goal I have done the least work with. However, I do not think I took the route I was expecting. The main way I have…Continue Reading “Year #1 Wrap Up”

These past two weeks have been filled with projects and tasks for starting to wrap up the semester. With only two weeks of classes after Easter break, the end of my first year is almost over! The main project of last week was preparing for the Undergraduate Research Forum. On Friday, I presented alongside the other three Research Fellows for ITS, Vickie Watkins, Ally Laidlaw, and Ruthie Tucker. We presented on Knight Domains and how we incorporate domains into our research along for our personal…Continue Reading “Week 32 and 33: Presentations”

This week was a week of trial and error and accomplishments. The first thing I finished this week was the Interactive Grid. I added and confirmed all of the videos as well as made a new upgrade. Through a few hours of trial and error and many lines of CSS and HTML, the grid now features rollovers. After that, I added the grid to the Full Spectrum Learning Site for the first time. You can see them in action here: The next project for the…Continue Reading “Week 31: Interactive Grid Rollovers and Data Studio”

With this week bringing the completion of the six videos for the original data we have, I started to update the interactive grid to show these changes. After fixing the audio for all of the videos, we uploaded them to the YouTube channel. I then added them to the grid and fixed some layout issues that were coming up. The mobile version turned out to be a bit more of a challenge. I forgot that the mobile and desktop versions were different and I had…Continue Reading “Week 30: Updating the Interactive Grid”

This week was spring break and was spent playing around in Google Data Studio. The goal is to make a bubble chart that live updates once a form is filled out for live data of where professors have placed themselves on the grid. I had never used data studio before and after some time playing around, this is what the report looks like live right now with some sample/older data. https://datastudio.google.com/open/1vrBY0yE1Cc3WAQqWwQnungOFAfXIH8Ay Some of the things I figured out was how to import data from a…Continue Reading “Week 29: Google Data Studio”

These past two weeks have focused on editing and helping videos with Rutie, but it also included a new project. In order to show the reactions of the faculty to the different stipends and grants, we decided to add a blog to the website. We are using elementor, however, so blogging is not the easiest. Elementor is mainly used for static pages and information, so instead of using pages, I decided to create a page for each blog post and make it similar to a…Continue Reading “Week 27 and 28: Full Spectrum Learning Blog”

After the week of filming, my workload transitioned into the week of editing. The beginning of the week consisted of working on the course pages and we finished filming a professor. Course Pages With footage for six different intersection videos from professors and students, I started to work more deeply on the course pages. Next week, I will be meeting with Dr. Riggle to confirm the different materials that should be on each page and create a bit of a template for the course pages,…Continue Reading “Week 26: Getting Back into the Groove of Editing”

This week consisted of many hours of filming for different videos. Monday was the only day “off ” for filming that Ruthie and I had and it was spent tweaking and fixing the intros and outros for videos, along with fixing and adding credits to each of the videos. Tuesday afternoon was the first student video for Dr. MacDiarmid for her Poetry Workshop class (ENGL 308). Wednesday we filmed the other student for her ENGL 425 class. We are starting to feel like we are…Continue Reading “Week 25: A Week of Filming”

Growing up, I thought this phrase was really cheesy. Now I understand this cheesy phrase. This week was the week of endless emails. I felt like everyday I was sending out hundreds of emails (that may be a bit of an exaggeration). I was trying to connect and schedule videos with professors, updating interview questions, scheduling time with students for interviews. I constantly was feeling like I was missing something or forgetting something. Over the past few months of working, I am constantly reminded how…Continue Reading “Week 24: Communication is Key”